Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
This Federal style house was built around 1830 for John Walden, after whom the adjacent street is named. Walden, who owned a cooperage (manufacture of wooden barrels), purchased this property from William W. Kempton in 1830. He lived here until 1843, when he sold the house for what was then the sizable sum of $2,400. Carefully placed symmetrical chimneys and a balanced five-window facade focus attention on the carefully designed entry with elaborate fanlights. This form of entry composed of Doric half-columns topped by accurately carved triglyphs from a Doric frieze.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways Tour #5: North Bedford Historic District Tour