Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
Leprelate King had this house built in the mid-1850s and resided here with his wife Abby King. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in the Army in the fall of 1862. King who operated a grocery store King served as a Private in the Fourth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Co. K, which was composed primarily of men from the Taunton area. He died in the service to his country in 1863 at Brashear City, Louisiana of an undisclosed disease. The ownership of the house passed in 1869 to Henry Howard. Howard served as a foreman and later as Superintendent of the Gosnold Mills, an iron manufactory in the city. He continued to reside here with his family until his death in 1898. The property remained in the family, with his son, Henry, Jr., residing here until 1900. The son was employed as a clerk for the National Bank of Commerce.
The one and a half story house is primarily in the Greek Revival style but also contain numerous Italianate elements as in the bracketed roof trim and the tall 6 over 9 windows on the main facade. Recessed pilasters support the doorway, and these panel details appear at the wide corner boards of the house.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways Tour #5: North Bedford Historic District Tour