Created By: Cornell Botanic Gardens
This bridge was built during the construction of the gorge’s original stone staircases and paths between 1927 and 1931. Cascadilla Gorge was donated to the care of Cornell University by local philanthropist Robert H. Treman in 1909 for education and public recreation. Funding for the bridge, trail construction, and on-going maintenance was made possible by a generous financial gift from Cornell trustee Colonel Henry Sackett. Today, the trails and gorge are maintained by Cornell Botanic Gardens staff.
When passing the wet gorge wall on the north side of this bridge, look for lichens—one of Earth’s most ancient groups of organisms—attached to the rock.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cascadilla Gorge: Ithaca's Most Traveled Gorge