Africa Station Club

Simon's Town Historical Society

Africa Station Club

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The land was first granted in 1796 and for many years it was used as a cattle assembly enclosure (Beestekraal) where animals were kept prior to shipment to St Helena. A small hut on the south-east side of the enclosure was known as the Slaughter House. In 1808 it became a Cooperage. The land was taken over by the Royal Navy in 1834 which later focused on the welfare and entertainment of sailors. The quarry stone building was built in 1873 for the convenience of CPO’s & PO’s and in 1880 the ‘Africa Station Club’ was established. In 1944, the Navy War Fund financed the rear portion of the building to be demolished and a 3-storey extension was added. Since the 1950s the building has provided accommodation for several Naval administrative branches.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to