Created By: Auckland Council
Built in 1862 in the middle of a 99-acre farm, Allendale was the first wooden home erected in Mount Albert. Specifically, it was built from pit-sawn kauri from the Kaipara, with the roof made of kauri shingles. The Allen family’s home soon became a social centre for the surrounding farms. In 1866, they got their neighbours together to petition the Government to let them form the Mount Albert Highways Board. A few weeks before, their kitchen had hosted the first Methodist church service in the area.
In 1880, the Public Works Department compulsorily purchased land for a railway line which would cut across their property in an inconvenient manner. As a result, the Allens subdivided 60 acres into 47 lots, contributing to the suburbanisation of Mount Albert. The ad they put in the newspaper read: “47 Large and Beautifully Situated Sites - Volcanic Soil - Close to Railway Station - Buses pass four times per day”.
Return to Mount Albert Road, continue to its intersection with New North Road, and then cross New North Road and turn left.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Mount Albert History Walk