Created By: Sandra Franco
Designed by Nathan C. Ricker and James M. White, Altgeld Hall was completed in 1897, with additions in 1914, 1919, 1926, and 1956.
When first occupied, it had a museum in the basement, the University Library on the first floor, and stacks and offices on the second floor; it then served as the law building, 1927 to 1955, and the math building and library, 1955 to the present.
Named after Illinois Governor John P. Altgeld, the building is considered one of the finest examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in Illinois. The central room is decorated with murals by Newton A. Wells.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Illini Go