Created By: Preservation Greensboro
Known today as the Southeastern Building (originally built as the American Exchange National Bank Building), this classically detailed skyscraper was constructed in 1920 to plans provided by Greensboro-architect Raleigh James Hughes. The building is notable for its detailing and materials, including Indiana limestone sheathing and full expressions of classical architecture including entablatures, cornices, dentils, and with Tuscan pilasters. The structure initially held bank offices including a bank lobby on the ground floor, with various offices in upper floors. In 1950, the main floor was remodeled with a Streamline Moderne theme, but the original details of the street façade were returned through a National Park Service Certified Restoration in 2015. The mixed-use restoration brought commercial uses to the street-level, with office and residential uses above. Private.
Style: Neoclassical Revival. Listed to the National Register of Historic Places in June 1982. Pending Local Landmark Property in 2015. Greensboro Preservation Award 2015, Preservation North Carolina Caraway Award 2016.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Center City Greensboro Historic Architecture