Amlay's Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

Amlay's Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In 1803, land in the southern portion of St George’s Street, was subdivided off land belonging to H Roselt, and was transferred to Johan Albert Dell. In 1809 it was purchased by William Westhof and in 1814 sold to Christian M Lind, the local magistrate. In 1846 it was subdivided in his estate and sold off in lots.
Lot #5 (now erf 1008), with a small store with tethering for horses, was bought by John Hare. It was sold to John Huxtable in 1848 who also bought erf 1009 in 1853. In 1856 both erven were bought by John Richard Black. In 1899 the trustees of the Estate of the late J R Black erected a building with 2 shops and a dwelling above on erf 1008. Mrs Jacobson (a trustee) divided the upstairs dwelling into two in 1923, and in 1924 built small premises with a retaining wall at the back on erf 1009. In 1928 an ‘offal’ room was added with wc’s. Both erven were bought by D.A. Amlay in 1929 and new shop fronts were erected in 1962. One shop was occupied by Mr Patel, a general dealer, and the other by Amlay the butcher. St George’s Jewellers occupied Patel’s shop in 1972. George M Bowes bought both erven from Amlay in 1973. The property has subsequently been sold to a new owner who has restored the shop front to the same style as the original.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to