Created By: DCR Massachusettes
Buildings 10,11, (13, 29)
These elegant brick barracks once housed the enlisted men of Fort Andrews. A two storey covered virandah with a wooden colunade once stretched the length of each building. Originally four Barracks ran along the Parade Ground. Built in 1906, the remaining tbarracks (10,11) are the oldest. Building 29 (closest to pier) was demolished in 2011, and building 13 burned down in 1926. It was later replaced by a temporary wooden barracks.
Each building served as a self contained unit with a Mess Hall, Kitchen, Laundry, and Bathrooms on the ground floor. The floors above had a rec room with a pool table and piano, with dorm-style sleeping quarters on each side. Look for the ghostly silhoutte of the verandah.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Peddocks Island: Historic Fort Andrews