Created By: Old Cowtown Museum
The Baldwin Photographic Gallery in the Business District at Old Cowtown Museum represents the promotion of a social and cultural atmosphere in Wichita during the 1870s. Nereus Baldwin was one of the first photographers to photograph Wichita and regularly advertised in the newspaper that he stocked stereoptic views of the city. As the permanent residential community of 1870s continued to expand, the pursuit of leisure, social, and cultural activities became an increasingly important part of life. Residents and to town promoters who wished to extol the virtues of their city to outsiders and potential settlers extolled advancements.
Baldwin also entertained locals with his refracting telescope. His followers kept up a running correspondence with the newspapers on matters of interesting astronomical events.
Baldwin’s Gallery became the seat of the first library in Wichita. In 1876, the Wichita Library and Lecture association and the Ladies Auxiliary
This site houses Red Rock Photography studio and, by appointment, takes 1870s style photographs of guests in a wide range of genres, in clothing provided.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Old Cowtown Museum Tour