Created By: Historical Society of Topsail Island
This building was built in 1959 and was Warren's Soda Shop, the first soda fountain on the Island. Soda "jerks", named because they jerked the handle which dispensed the soda water, made a variety of ice cream drinks. Patent drugs were also sold there. The first building which housed Warren's Soda Shop in the early 1950s was destroyed in Hurricane Hazel in 1954. It was across the street from today's Town Hall.
The soda shop was a local hangout for youth and everyone wanted to work there.
Now the Beach Shop and Grill is a popular restaurant for locals and visitors.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Top Secret Walking Tour of Topsail Beach