Created By: Nappanee Public Library
Built circa 1888
Samuel Betchel started to clear the way for the building of this building in 1887. He had purchased the land to build a place of business. He was already in business with his brothers and owned the Farmers and Traders Bank. Tragically, Samuel was killed in a gravel pit when he went to fetch a load of sand for the foundation of the building. Samuel's wife, Mary continued the work that her husband started and finished the building.
Originally the building had 2 store rooms with plated-glass windows and the upstairs was used for offices in the front part and then halls or a hall in the back half. It was thought that the Masons were to use one of the halls.
The Shively brothers purchased the building in 1916 and remodeled it, taking out the walls and making one store and also utilizing the upstairs into storerooms for more merchandise. Shivelys closed in 1961.
The building was purchased by Raymond Martin in 1963 and became Martin Hardware. The store closed its doors in 2013.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Nappanee History Scavenger Hunt