Created By: individual
Point and Erie streets, Camden
This house was built for Benjamin Cooper in 1734 and is both one of the earliest remaining buildings in Camden and one of the most significant extant ferry-related buildings.
Benjamin Cooper was a grandson of William Cooper, the scion of the famous Camden family. Benjamin died in 1772, leaving the house to his eldest son, Joseph. During the British occupation of Philadelpjhia in the American Revolution, the house was commandeered for use as the headquarters of British Lieutenant Colonel Abercrombie. In later years, the house was used as a saloon and as a pleasure garden. Beginning in the early 20th century, the property was used as the offices of John H. Mathis & Company, yacht manufacturer, and its successor, Camden Ship Repair. Vacant in recent years, it was severely damaged in a Thankgiving Day 2012 fire.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Camden County History Tour