Created By: North Dakota State University
The Bismarck Tavern is among the oldest bars in Fargo. It was opened in 1937 by Stanley C. and Ruth Peterson at 516 Broadway as The Bismarck Liquor Store and Cafe. Between 1945 and 1947, the Peterson’s moved their business to its current location, 522 Broadway. In 1951 the Bismarck came under new ownership. Bill Ross bought the property and changed the name to the Bismarck Tavern in 1955. Over the years the tavern has changed hands many times. Ardell J. McGovern bought the property in 1965. A decade later, McGovern sold the Bismarck to O.J. Bushaw, Noel and Gwen Hefte of Grand Forks in 1975. Charles Sauvageau of C & M Investments is the current owner of the tavern. He bought the property in 1984.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo