Black Building

Camp Wilderness: Historic Trails

Black Building

Park Rapids, Minnesota 56470, United States

Created By: North Dakota State University


The Black Building was erected in the spring of 1949 housing offices for the Camp Director, Program Director, Order of the Arrow Camp Coordinator, and Business Manager. The large reception room is used for meetings, rainy day activities, winter camping, and more. The beautiful fireplace was built by a stonemason R.W. Blanchard from Osage, Minnesota. The stones used in the construction are from all over the country. They include fossils, petrified wood, granite, and even pipestone.

The Building is named as a memorial for Lt. George Edwin Black whose picture hangs on the wall of the large room. An Eagle Scout and First Lieutenant in the Army, he died on September 4, 1944 while on a reconnaissance mission in World War II. His words are captured on a bronze plaque on the fireplace mantle, words worth reading.

"We prepare young men at West Point and Annapolis to die for America. Why should we not also prepare young men to live for America".

This point of interest is part of the tour: Camp Wilderness: Historic Trails


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to