Blinn's Market

Helix, Oregon Historical Walking Tour

Blinn's Market

Helix, Oregon 97835, United States

Created By: Lorin Kubishta


This handsome brick building historically housed the Helix Lockers. It was constructed in 1920 as Blinn's Store. Fred Blinn lived across the street at what is now 208 Solar Street. The store originally had a post office on one side. Blinn’s also sold groceries, confectionaries, shoes, and general hardware items. Outside, there was once a water trough and hitching rack for the customer's horses.

Later owners of the market included the Smith brothers, Chris Brogoitti, and most notably, Sam and Argiene Gjerde, who farmed in the midwest until moving to the area in 1947. In 1958 they purchased the now-renamed Helix Locker, which they owned for 26 years until retirement in 1984. The name reflected one of the primary sources of revenue for the business, namely, storing meat in small rental lockers in the back cooler as well as in the basement.

Currently, the building is locally owned and houses The Grange, formerly the Helix Pub & Market, and is still a favorite local gathering spot.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Helix, Oregon Historical Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to