Created By: Douglas T Stiff
Originally constructed by Ottawa Electric Rail Company in 1901 as a point of attraction for visitors. At its peak, the pier with electric lighting, extended a total of 427 m (1400 ft) into the Ottawa River. Initially, the pier was 305 m (1000 ft), where it intersected with a 61 m (200 ft) platform that acted as a breakwater. With the park’s success, it was extended another the 122 m (400 ft) in 1904 and the Britannia Boating Club’s three-story boathouse constructed at its end. The pier’s stone base was constructed using excavated materials from a canal dug in the Deschênes rapids in a failed attempt to create a hydroelectric plant in 1899 (see Britannia Yacht Club). The pier was partially damaged in 1918 when the boathouse burned down. Declining visitors in following decades led to deterioration. Although the rotted wood structure was removed in the 1950s, the stone foundation was enlarged to expand both the beach and shorefront, creating the quay which extends northwest from the Ron Kolbus-Lakeside Centre into the Ottawa River presently. Much like its historical counterpart this quay has electric lighting (though not as thrilling as it was early 1900), paved pathways and scenic[, sometimes windy,] views of the river.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History