Created By: Douglas T Stiff
This clubhouse was built in 1896, on property leased from Ottawa lumber baron J. R. Booth, after the Britannia Aquatic Club had outgrown John Jamieson’s converted sawmills and cottages that had been used since its foundation in 1887. The club operated from the boathouse at Britannia Pier from 1904 to 1918, relocating to this site once more after boathouse on the pier burned down.
Using volunteers from the BYC previous club Commodores, Thomas G. Fuller and Reginald G. Bruce expanded of the existing abandoned Metropolitan Power Company Canal from 1899 to create the club’s sheltered harbour.
The club has received numerous awards and distinctions throughout its 130 year existence…
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History