Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center
In 1945, Staff Sgt. Samuel Countee, an African American Soldier and artist, painted a mural for Fort Leonard Wood’s World War II era Black Officers Club located in Building 2101.
In addition to being the home of what is believed to be the only surviving piece of artwork created during Countee’s military career, the building also features masonry stonework built by German and Italian prisoners of war. The building is one of the last World War II era segregated officers clubs in the Army
This point of interest is part of the tour: Fort Leonard Wood Historic Tour