Created By: Visit Carlton
George Carl, built this brick structure in 1916, replacing a wooden building. The previous structure housed the first auto repair shop in Carlton, which Carl founded about 1915. He sold the garage to Banrey Burns in 1920. Barney operated it as Burns Garage until 1943. The Harroun Logging Company bought the building in 1943 for their headquarters.
In 1950, the Portland Glove Company came to Carlton and opened a factory here. With the closure of the sawmills, the Glove Factory was the largest employer in the city for many years. By the 1990s the company employed over 30 of the town's 1,000 residents. But new owner Wells Lamont, headquartered in Niles, Ill., decided the local operation didn't fit into its long-range strategic plan.The facility operated for over 45 years, closing in 1994.
In 1994, Ken Wright opened his first Carlton winery in the former Glove Factory. It was the first winery allowed within the city limits of Carlton, paving the way for future facilities.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour