Cader's Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

Cader's Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In the year 1806 or thereabouts, this building and the two adjacent were built, probably by John Osmond, as a ‘spec’ on land owned by his mother-in-law widow Rossouw. It was bought in 1807 by Jan Gustav Aspeling, who sold it eight years later to Edmund Miller. On his death, it passed to his wife Mary who died intestate in 1838. It was then bought by their son John Miller, and after his death, six years later, was bought by their son -in-law, Thomas Bull, a retired Naval Lieutenant, who owned it until his death in 1872. From then, until 1918, it was owned by William Alexander and then owned by A.H.C. Miller, grandson of Edmund and Mary until November1926 when it was bought by Abdul Cader and he opened ‘Central Supply Store’. He came to Simon’s Town from India in 1903 and worked in Mr Runciman’s shop until he and his partner ran a fruit store for 20 years . He died in 1942 and the property was transferred on 20/07/1945 to his sons Abdurahman (Raymond), Mohammed (Hamied) and Abdul Razak (Jackie) born in Drostdy House in 1935. Mr GM Patel ran the business for seven years, until the sons were old enough to take over.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to