Calvary Bible Church

Places of Worship around Mount Joy Borough

Calvary Bible Church

Mount Joy, Pennsylvania 17552, United States

Created By: Mount Joy Borough

Point of Interest Details

Calvary Bible Church of Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, began in the home of Mount Joy residents, Ray and Carolyn Luphold, as a Friday evening Bible Class taught by Rev. Roy S. Forney. The class grew and, after much prayer, they decided to form a local congregation. After becoming organized, the newly-formed church purchased the Market House on New Haven Street in Mount Joy and services began in the fall of 1941.

In 1960, four acres of land were purchased in the Donegal Heights section of Mount Joy and four years later the original building was dedicated on this site. In 1972, an addition was built providing eleven classrooms, office space and a larger foyer area. Continuing to expand, a sanctuary with a seating capacity of 500 was completed on June 19, 1977. A new organ, new piano, and twelve additional classrooms were also provided for in this building program. In the last few years, the need for more classroom space, children/youth space and general elbow room has given rise to the current building project. In 2016 a much needed sanctuary "refresh" was completed as part of the larger building expansion. The new expansion includes plans to push back the walls to give God more room to work in us and through us.

In 2016, CBC entered its 75th anniversary year and celebrated God's faithfulness.

Calvary Bible Church

This point of interest is part of the tour: Places of Worship around Mount Joy Borough


 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.