Created By: Visit Carlton
After the Co-Op Creamery was moved to McMinnville, Carlton still felt the need for a creamery.
A Chamber of Commerce committee was formed. They recruited Bill and Opal McGhie of Sheridan to operate the creamery. The building was built by Floyd Eichel and opened on July 1, 1940. Frozen food lockers were also included for meat storage. Food lockers were popular in an era when home freezers were yet to become common. Butter was made here until 1946, when the lockers were expanded, and the facility became a meat processing plant. After 25 years, the McGhies sold the business in 1975.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour