Created By: Visit Carlton
First built in 1935, the vision for a community pool was initiated by the Carlton Community Foundation and supported by the Mayor and City Council. The Carlton residents voted overwhelming in favor of a bond to build the pool in 1935. The pool has always been heated. This was highly unusual for a town of its size and remains one of the only in the state of Oregon for a town of this size. It was originally heated by burning wood donated from the local mill and the heat circulated via a logging donkey hitch. The 75’ by 30’ pool contains 76,000 gallons of water. The pool cost $2500 and took over 4500 hours of labor to be completed.
In in 1957, a recirculating heating system and chlorination was added. Lighting and bleacher seating in the 1960’s allowed for Red Cross sponsored swimming lessons and water ballet pageants. The pool was rebuilt in 2017 thanks to a community-supported bond and grant. The pool is used extensively today in the summer and hosts a variety of fitness exercise classes.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour