Created By: Visit Carlton
Built: 1945 (In 1914 building)
The Carlton Theater was opened in 1945 after a fire in the former Brooks Hotel gutted the upstairs apartments. Operated by Clifford and Hazel Briggs, it cost 25 to 50 cents to see a movie and the theater was open seven days a week. Popcorn and candy bars could be enjoyed for a nickel. The theater could seat an impressive 450 people. The theater eventually closed in the 1960s, as TV became popular and patrons went to theaters in McMinnville and Newberg. The space has held many businesses in the years since. The theater marquee still hangs over the eastern facade of the building.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour