Created By: Visit Carlton
Built: About 1910
This unassuming warehouse is one of the last remnants of the Carlton and Coast Railroad. The C&C was a logging railroad, hauling logs from the forests in the Coast Range to the mills on Carlton Lake. Completed in 1911, it went twenty miles up the watershed of the North Yamhill River. Steam locomotives chugged up and down the steep grades.
Later owned by the Flora Logging Company, it became the primary source of timber for the mills in Carlton. The Tillamook Burn fires of 1939, destroyed most of the trestles. Much of the equipment was stranded in the woods. The Flora Logging Company went bankrupt, and the railroad was abandoned. WWII scrap drives brought out most of the equipment. By this point, trucks had replaced trains as the preferred method of log transport.
After the abandonment of the railroad in 1940, the depot was used for poultry processing. It is presently used for winery storage. The original wooden siding pokes through the tin siding in certain spots. The mainline of the C&C was converted into a county road, known today as Old Railroad Grade Rd.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour