Created By: Preservation Greensboro
The 1922 Carolina Cadillac Company Building is an automobile showroom with service designed by Greensboro architect Harry J. Simmonds. The two-story brick building blends Commercial and Mission Revival styles by combining four flat columns embellished with diamond-shaped panels originally inset with terra cotta with a pediment and copper tiled pent roof. Other original features include plate-glass windows and Luxfer glass transoms, multi-paned, casement windows at the second level of the façade, and a decorative, metal awning over the entrance.
The building was erected by the Latham Company, who hired Architect Simmonds to design the Carolina Cadillac Company Building and the adjacent Studebaker dealership building on adjoining lots facing East Market Street. The area of Greensboro east of the downtown soon became known as auto row with the later additions of Buick, Chrysler-Plymouth, and Chevrolet dealerships.
Listed to the National Register of Historic Places in August 2014.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Center City Greensboro Historic Architecture