Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This busy intersection where Hanshaw, Highland, and Upland roads meet was originally known as Cayuga Circle. The Ithaca Street Railway ran a trolley line to Cayuga Heights in 1906. Known as the "Great Northern," the streetcar line was a selling point for the young neighborhood, linking the Heights to Cornell University and downtown. By 1919, the tracks extended along Highland Road to Cayuga Circle. The Cayuga Heights streetcar system was short-lived, however, eliminating service in 1929.
To read more about the site, visit The Cayuga Heights History Project website.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Cayuga Heights