Central Library formerly Post Office

Greenock's Historic Quarter

Central Library formerly Post Office

Scotland PA15 1BQ, United Kingdom

Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group


The imposing building to the right of the Municipal Buildings was originally built as the main Post Office in 1882 (image 1). The architect was John Boston.

When the Post Office moved to its new premises in Cathcart Street in 1899, the building was purchased with money donated by Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to set up a free public library.

He visited Greenock to perform the opening ceremony on 10th October 1902 (image 2). Carnagie asked that the inscription, 'Let there be Light' together with the sunrise logo, be in all of the libraries he helped create through his donations. It can be seen more clearly along with his initials in the close up photograph (image 3). Sadly the glass panel above the main door no longer exists.

It remained as Greenock's Central Library until 1970 when the service moved to a new building to the south side of Clyde Square. The library returned to this building in 2015.

Tap image 1 to see the full picture.

Continue by walking to the end of Wallace Place then turn left into Clyde Square then walk to Pin 55: Men of the Clyde Statue.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.