Created By: Siu Wai Kiu
It was built in 1950 and is located at the highest point of the school. It was opened by Governor Ho Minghua on March 4, 1950. The chapel was built to commemorate those who died at St. Stephen’s College (which was part of the Stanley Detention Camp) during the Japanese Occupation. The stained glass on the door of the chapel was donated by the Qu family in 1995 and depicts the hardships of the detention camp during the Japanese occupation. Inside the chapel are stained glass with a portrait of Saint Stephen and a stele from the Chapel of St. Barbara commemorating the soldiers killed in the Royal Artillery Regiment and the sinking of the Lisbon Maru during the Hong Kong Defense War.
The chapel has been listed as a third-class historical building on January 22, 2010
This point of interest is part of the tour: The most historical place in Hong Kong -Stanley
Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.