Created By: New Bedford Preservation Society
Clasky Park was New Bedford’s first city park. New Bedford citizens were conscious of the fact that a “typical” New England town had to have a Town Common, and the park was so designated. Property was first purchased by the city in 1822 and enlarged by further acquisitions by 1830. At that time, of course, it was just another open space in the middle of farmland, but the future was to prove the wisdom of this decision of the town fathers. Gardens and walkways were begun as early as the 1850’s and the carefully laid out paths and trees are the result of long planning. Originally known as The Common Park, It is now known as Clasky Park, Harold H. J. Clasky was a well-known political figure in New Bedford who served for twelve years on the City Council and later as State Senator in Boston. The park was re-named for him and dedicated on October 13, 1969.
In Clasky Common Park is a monument dedicated to New Bedford Veterans of the Civil War, known popularly as the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. It is one of the earliest erected in the nation, dated 1866. It commemorates “sons who fell defending their country in the struggle with slavery and
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Pathways Tour #5: North Bedford Historic District Tour