Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
Currently a steak house called 134, the Clydesdale Bank Building (image 1) was built on the north east corner of Cathcart Square in 1899 on the site of the former White Hart Inn (image 2). The Inn, founded in 1770, was the final stop on the stage coach journey from Glasgow and was an important meeting place.
The present building was designed by the architect James Thomson and was constructed in 1899. The relief sculptures above the windows depict Greenock's connections with shipbuilding and trade.
Continue by walking across the Square towards heading to Pin 15: The Lyle Fountain. Be aware of traffic.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter