Created By: Wichita History Walk
Although Wichitans initially built their homes in the central part of the city, the College Hill neighborhood became a desired location for prominent homes in the 1880s. Because it was located two miles east of Douglas and Lawrence (now Broadway) and slightly higher elevation, it was protected from floods from the Arkansas River. The neighborhood consisted of approximately a square mile, platted from several farms and was bordered by Hillside, Oliver, Central and Kellogg. Initial plans included a “Central College,” between Fairmount College (now WSU) and Wichita University (located on Lincoln Street; closed in 1893). Central College was never built, but the neighborhood flourished despite this.
Now, College Hill has more than a dozen homes on the National Register of Historic Homes, including the Henry J. Allen House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. What is now College Hill Park was the location of the Wichita Country Club in 1901-1912. It was developed as a park during the Depression.
For more information, see collegehillneighborhood.com/history.html
This point of interest is part of the tour: East Douglas Heritage