Created By: Nappanee Public Library
Built circa 1884
In 1882, John, Frank, and Samuel Coppes bought out John Mellinger's interest and took an equal share in the company. They changed the name from Mellinger and Coppes Brothers to just Coppes Brothers. They made boxes exclusively for two factories in Elkhart and all of Dr. Miles's shipping boxes for his Nervine. They built the factory on East Market Street in 1884. John ran the sawmill and Frank ran the box factory. After Samuel sold his interest to Daniel Zook in 1890, the company became Coppes and Zook. In 1902, the company became Coppes, Zook, and Mutschler after the Mutschler brothers joined the firm. They started building furniture and kitchen cabinets at that time.
The Mutschlers left the firm in 1912 to run Mutschler Brothers.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Nappanee History Scavenger Hunt