Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
Unfortunately, this area is currently being used as a base for roofing repairs and access to the seated area is not possible.
The open area at the right-hand corner of the Municipal Buildings is known as Cowan's Corner (image 1), after a local businessman who refused to sell his property when the council was acquiring the land needed to build the award-winning design, and subsequently the original design had to be changed (image 2).
Ironically, this property was destroyed by a bomb during the May 1941 blitz, leaving the present gap.
Tap image 1 to see the full picture. (Close is in top left corner.)
Continue by walking forward a few steps to the edge of Clyde Square to Pin 5: Victoria Tower. Click CONTINUE TOUR.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter