Criterion Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

Criterion Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In 1803 stables were erected here. In 1804 the property was transferred to Maude & Robertson and a large "pakhuis" was built. In 1813 sold to Church of England, converted to Church. On 24 April 1814 St George's Church, so named by Sir John Cradock, was opened with Reverend George Hough as the first Chaplain. In 1819 the building was badly damaged by storm water and again in 1824 storm water washed away almost the entire building that was never restored as a church. In 1846 the site was sold but appears to have remained derelict. In 1921 a new building was erected by G Lowings and the Criterion Cinema was opened. Mr Wallace was the first manager after which the cinema was run by the Forster family until it was taken over by 20th Century Fox. Initially there were silent movies with piano accompaniment. In 1951 plans for alterations were approved and in 1961 a new facade was erected. The cinema closed in 1973 and has been used for various commercial enterprises ever since.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to