Created By: North Dakota State University
The school was first built in 1895 in the Mapleton Township, a quarter mile east of John Dobrinz Farm. The schoolhouse was named after the Dobrinz family because they had 13 children who would attend the school. Martha Dobrinz eventually taught at the school. Students in grades 1 through 8 attended the school in its early years.
The students could start school as early as 3 and some were even older than their teachers. Grade levels were based on how many books a student could successful read instead of age range like we see today. Mapleton approved the move of the school house into Bonanzaville in 1968, making it one of the first buildings moved into the pioneer village.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Bonanzaville Full Village Tour