Created By: Uki and South Arm Historical Society
The two-storied timber house at 1442 Kyogle Road was built in 1960 for the McIntyre family from timber milled at the Kunghurloo Mill, Kunghur. The house opposite No. 1431 Kyogle Road was built as a residence for the Uki sawmill.
Mr Lou Parker was the mill's first owner and lived with his family at this residence. He had a disabled daughter who used a wheelchair following a botched tonsil operation at 18 months of age. The children of the local mill workers used to spend time with her, although she couldn't speak. The last mention of her in any records was when she was in her teens.
In the early 1980s, Mrs Dulcie Rayward (a lady who wore the most magnificent hats) walked into the hallway leading to the front door and saw a young woman in a long white dress.
The apparition stood there for a moment, looked at Dulcie and then slowly faded away. The second time Dulcie saw the woman, she was standing in the same spot. Dulcie tried to slowly approach her and say hello. The figure turned to her, lingered for some time, and slowly faded again.
That was the last time Dulcie saw her ghost. Some of our Historical Society members can tell you about their own sightings!
Walk back towards the village and cross Kyogle Road to the War Memorial.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Uki Village - Walking Tour