Created By: Mars Hill University
Along the sidewalk to the right is one of the many native stone retaining walls built on campus by the Mace family, stonemasons from Madison County. David Mace, who worked for the college in the physical plant, served as the stonemason during the construction of Broyhill Chapel.
At the end of the sidewalk sits the Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary, a rustic stone building that shares its visually appealing label with the Estella Nissen Montague Building. Funded by a 1933 donation of $2,500 from Mrs. Flora Harding Robinson, the chair of the college’s mathematics department, the infirmary building was to be a memorial for her late husband Dr. Willard Filmore Robinson (1868-1933). Dr. Robinson had served as the campus physician from 1929- to 1933 as well as a college trustee from 1898 to 1933. School historians claim that upon Mrs. Robinson’s donation of $2,500 dollars, the faculty raised an equal amount, which provided the funds needed for construction. Designed by Henry Irven Gaines; the architect who was responsible for Edna Moore, Stroup, Wall, Nash, and Myers, the Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary was completed in 1935 and continues to provide Mars Hill University students and employees with medical assistance today.
Adjacent to the Robinson Infirmary stands perhaps the most famous tree on the Mars Hill University campus, the Moore Pin Oak. Planted by Dr. Moore in 1902, the Moore Pin Oak has seen thousands of students walk the grounds of Mars Hill and remains as a constant connections between the campuses past and present.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Walking Tour of Mars Hill University