Dryden Central School Fire

Finding Fires - Dryden

Dryden Central School Fire

Dryden, New York 13053, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage


Date: February 2, 1954

Location: 36 Union Street, Dryden

In 1954 Dryden Central School suffered a fire that destroyed eight classrooms and the cafeteria. The fire appeared to start on the roof, and spread through the attic and the third floor. The alarm was raised fairly quickly, and the Dryden Fire Company reported to the scene. Unfortunately, the cold New York winters froze the nearby fire hydrants which hampered relief efforts. Despite this difficulty, the town and newspaper praised the fire company under the direction of Fire Chief Fitts, for their skill in putting out the fire and saving what they could.

The schoolhouse, which was originally called the Union Free School District building, was built in 1910, with an addition to the building constructed in 1938. Some musical instruments and school records were saved from the fire. In June of 1954, plans for rebuilding the school were approved by the State Education Department and the building was rebuilt into a high school.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Finding Fires - Dryden


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.