Created By: Old Cowtown Museum
The Eagle Cornice Works located in the Industrial Area of Old Cowtown Museum, represents the industrial development in the growing town. It was founded in 1883 by W. N. Caswell and F. Buckley. The company specialized in the production of galvanized window cornices, window caps, dormer windows, tin, iron, and slate roofing and the wholesale of sheet metal.
The sheet metal façades were popular between 1880 – 1910 and replaced earlier more expensive and labor intensive decoration made of stone, wood, or cast iron. This made it possible for businesses of lesser means to project an image of wealth and prosperity heretofore only available to those of means.
This business represents the rapid diversification of industries in the Wichita area. It prospered despite having no locally available raw materials, relying instead on the railroad to bring raw materials and carry out finished goods.
This same practice was observed over and over throughout Wichita’s history. Without raw materials Wichita relied on the daring intuition and pluck of the entrepreneurial spirit of those who inhabited the place.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Old Cowtown Museum Tour