Created By: Reno County Museum
Elmer still has a metal elevator and a road sign marking its presence.
The post office at Elmer was called Bernal. But the railroad called the town Elmer. The town was platted in 1875. South Hutch founder Ben Blanchard even frequented the town. He was trying to sell lots in South Hutchinson and tried drilling for oil. Instead he found salt and decided to "salt his well with real oil" in an effort to develop a bustling city.
He stored his supply of oil at Elmer.
During Prohibition, some Hutchinson residents used the Elmer Station to receive liquor, with whisky shipped to the town in five-gallon lots.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Reno County Ghost Towns