Created By: Auckland Council
Erected in 1865 for Tonson and Annie Jane Garlick, Ferndale was expanded in 1881 by the same architect who designed the Methodist church opposite. The house soon became a major social centre in Mount Albert, with the Lawn Tennis Club and the Bowling Club both originally being established on Ferndale land in the 1890s. The Mount Albert Croquet Club has been here since 1925. All of these amenities were particularly expensive to build around here due to the density of the scoria rocks in the volcanic soil.
Outside of lawns, the Garlicks also gave space to the Mount Albert Mutual Improvement Society from 1883 to 1891, which was aimed at broadening the intellectual horizons of the working classes through lectures, debates, essay competitions, and musical evenings. When Mrs Garlick passed away in 1947, she gave her house to the local council, who offered it as a community venue. The Norfolk pines, called the ‘Seven Sisters’, were planted in 1866 and the Plunket Rooms behind the house also date back to the Garlick years.
Return to Alexis Avenue and turn right.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Mount Albert History Walk