First Drive-in Movie Theater

Lower Cooper River

First Drive-in Movie Theater

Pennsauken Township, New Jersey 08109, United States

Created By: Camden County Historical Society

Point of Interest Details

Richard Milton Hollingshead, Jr. patented the first drive-in movie theater in May 1933 because his mother was too large to fit into a regular movie theater seat. Using his car, a 1928 Kodak movie projector, and two sheets nailed between two trees for a screen, he figured to serve more than one patron he would also need ramps for each parking space so patrons could see the screen over other vehicles. With three investors he formed Park-It Theatres, Inc. On June 6, 1933 they opened the world’s first "Automobile Movie Theatre" on the 400-acre site on Admiral Wilson Boulevard shown in the aerial photo above. RCA Victor provided three 36 square foot speakers to go with a 40 foot by 50 foot screen

This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower Cooper River


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to