Created By: Fort Myers CRA
These buildings resulted from a feud between the Bank of Fort Myers (one block away) Bank Director Harvie E. Heitman, and First National Bank of Fort Myers Founder Walter G. Langford. When the Bank of Fort Myers erected a new building in 1911, First National built a more majestic building in response. The Earnhardt Building was a jab back at Langford by Heitman, who built the Earnhardt a remarkable 200 feet length along First Street. Today, the Bank building houses a law firm that has lovingly restored its interior; the Earnhardt originally held a pharmacy, and today is home to restaurants and retail stores.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Historic Tour