Created By: PocketSights
This historic library, a National Historic Landmark, is the major masterpiece of Philadelphia's most important Victorian architect, Frank Furness. Combining genius in planning and form, it is a seminal library design that expresses function while merging the imagery of cathedral and railroad station. Additions in 1916, 1922, and 1931, Restored from 1986-91 by Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates. The 1931 McGoodwin addition is home to the Arthur Ross Gallery.
Address: 220 South 34th Street
Building Code: 170
Gross Area (square feet): 65,026
Year Built: 1890
Addition Year: 1916 - 1931 - 1988 - 1991
Architect: Furness Evans Co./Venturi Rauch Scott Brown Assoc.
Other Name: Furness, Furness Library, Fine Arts Library, Furness Building, Univ. of Pennsylvania Library
Karl M. Wellman, Jr.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Penn's Library Directory