Created By: HKBU
The Museum of Tea Ware mainly uses storing and showing the collections of tea ware. Most of the collection was donated by Dr. K.S. Lo (1910-1995). It will regularly hold some exhibitions, events, and lectures for spreading the ceramic art and Chinese tea-drinking culture.
The Museum of Tea Ware was one of the longest Western history buildings. As it has a long history, it is declared as a monument in Hong Kong.
The change of ancient and the present
It is built as the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces in Hong Kong for about 170 years.
1932, it changed the name to Hong Kong Heritage, but the use was kept. The roof of it has even been destroyed by Japan’s shell and occupied by them. 1945 the British army repaired all of it and use it as Hong Kong Heritage again.
Late 1970s, because of the lack of commercial land. British Garrison finally leave the Victoria Barracks after a discussion between the Hong Kong government and the British government in 1979. Hong Kong Heritage was kept since the Hong Kong government thinks it has a great history meaning and building features.
In 1984, it was used as the Museum of Tea Ware, and it built a new wing called The K.S. Lo Gallery in 1995.
This point of interest is part of the tour: 19th Century Central Hong Kong