Created By: neighbourhood history group
This row of houses was built by the Flood Land Company in 1912. Their addresses number from 3126 to 3136 13th Avenue. The buildings have served the neighbourhood for more than 100 years as homes and shophouses. They are notable for their shallow set-back from the street, making them attractive to the small business owners who began setting up shop here in the mid-1990s.
The corner property, 3136-13th Avenue, is currently the location of 13th Avenue Coffee, a popular neighbourhood gathering spot.
The first resident was J.W. Thomas, vice-president of the Young-Thomas Soap Company. Mr. Thomas lived in the house until 1918, when it briefly served as the Jesuit College.
Two years later, A.J. McKenzie, a music shop owner, moved in. The shop, A.J. McKenzie & Co., was located at 1759 Hamilton Street. An advertisement of the time says the store offered pianos, player pianos, phonographs and Victor records.
Other early residents were:
1921 - George Morgan, yard superindendent at Whitmore Bros., a coal and wood yard.
1923 - Mrs. Ellen Murray, a widow.
1925 - Ernest and Cecile Calleaux. Ernest was the caretaker at Holy Rosary Cathedral, and Cecile was a typist at the Royal Bank.
1926 - Mrs. Gertrude Wright and Mrs. Isabella O'Reilly.
1927 - H.Lett, Sargeant-at-Arms at the Legislative Building and Thoms Lumsden, a carpenter.
1928 - Edwin A. Allan, a salesman
The next building east, 3136-13th Avenue, is today home to Satori Hair Studio.
Early residents included:
1915 - Maurice Burke, a comptroler at "The Leader" newspaper.
1920 - James Middleton, an inspector with the provincial Telephone Department.
1922 - John H. McNath, a carpenter
1923 - Thomas Jacklin, a "traveller" - the term used at the time for a travelling salesperson.
1925 - Reginald C. Dawson, assistant manager at Metroplitan Life
1928 - Percy McIntosh, an employee of Capitol Roofing
In 1998, the building welcomed its first commercial resident, a shop called La Petit Rose.
Early residents of 3130 13th Avenue included
1915 - Albert Shaw, a carpenter
1920 - Joseph Mills, a meter reader
1924 - Mrs. Ellen Murray
1927 - James Moore
It has since been converted into a commercial operation, and is today home to Le Voilà Boutique.
Early residents of 3128 included:
1915 - Bernard Richter, a meat cutter
1916 - William H. McEwan of the law firm Martin, McEwan & Martin, located at 1853 Hamilton St.
1918 - Neil McFayden, superintendent for the Sask. Elevator Co.
1919 - Thomas C. Chard, a clerk in the provincial Department of Telephones.
1920 - Herman E. Worth, an operator for Canadian National Railways.
1930 - A.L. Buck, a land titles office clerk.
In 1992 it became the home of The Cat & The Fiddle Antiques.
The final home in the row, 3126, has been a private residence for more than a century, although it got off to a rocky start.
If the Flood Land Company hoped to turn a quick profit with their new homes, this address was a challenge. Built in 1912, it sat vacant for five years until Fred Nordyke, a comptroler for the Advance Rumley Thresher Company, moved in in 1917.
Mr. Nordyke lived there just one year, leaving the house vacant again until 1922. That year, Mrs. G.M. Yorty and Mrs.Louisa Holland moved in. The two women stayed a year, and were replaced by Robert E. Cughan, a lumber inspector.
When Mr. Cughan moved out, the house sat vacant another year. After that, it had a steady succession of tennants, including Fred. G. Wilcox, a labourer (1925-1926), Benjamin Segal, a "cattle director" (1927-1929), and G.A. Copely, a timekeeper for Bird, Woodall & Simpson, Contractors and Engineers.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Cathedral Village