Created By: City of Watsonville
The Ford's department Store These are some of the Ford’s Department Store photos. The building was remodeled various times throughout its history and then demolished after the 1989 earthquake. After it was demolished, Gottschalks store took its place until 2009 when it closed its doors.
In 1883, Ford's main store was expanded to the corner of Main and West Beach streets, and an elegant Eastlake Italianate structure with corner turret was designed by Alex Chalmers. Ford adjoined it with three brick warehouses on Main Street and, in 1884, a two-story expansion to the south.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Watsonville - Celebrating 15o Years!