Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Date built: c. 1921
This rectangular two-story school building with a hipped roof and stucco exterior walls was the Forest Home School for over forty years. Erected in 1921, its classrooms and gymnasium served the growing hamlet of Forest Home. The school was built on land leased by Cornell University to the school district. Forest Home School closed in 1964 and the school became an administrative building for the Cornell Botanic Gardens. The school’s gravel yard became the Robison Herb Garden and the surrounding area has been planted for visitors to enjoy. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Image courtesy of The History Center in Tompkins County archival collections: V20-287
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Schools of Tompkins County